What does your corporate identity say about you?
Every business, large or small, should have a good grasp of their corporate identity. Don’t be thrown off by the “corporate” part of this term—this also applies to those of you who work from home.
Your corporate identity consists of the color schemes you use in your designs, the fonts you use in your copy, and the sort of imagery you use in photographs. This should not be mistaken for branding. Your brand is the values you hold, the way you treat your customers, the quality of your services and products, and how your customers feel about your business overall.
Consistency is key!
Consistent visual statements help current and potential customers recognize and remember you. Your company name, logo, slogan, uniforms, stationery, and office décor should send a consistent message about who you are. This also applies to things like the look of your signs at a trade show, advertisements in the paper, or your posts on social media. Consistency is key!
Is your corporate identity as strong as it could be?
Take a close look at your business. How consistent would you say your company’s visual presence is? It’s often helpful to get an outsider’s opinion. Curio Creative Agency offers consulting services to guide you through the evaluation process.
Strengthen your corporate identity with these 7 tips
- Ask for a design spec sheet: When you have a logo designed, make sure you also receive a design spec sheet. This will tell anyone working with your logo which exact colors should be used, how the logo should be properly sized, and how it should or should not be used. If multiple logo version exists (such as black, white, grey scale, and color versions), the spec sheet will also outline which logo is used when, and how. Having this list of “basic rules” is an important step to ensuring that, no matter who you collaborate with, your corporate identity will remain consistent.
- When you receive your final logo files, I highly recommend retaining a vector file copy. This will ensure that your logo can later be used for different sized projects. If you were never given one of these, see if you can request one from your designer. If you’re having trouble contacting your designer, don’t worry. A company like ours will gladly help you re-make one for future use, bringing you one step closer to presenting a polished, professional identity.
- Review your social media presence: Small changes add up over time. It’s possible that small changes you’ve been making to your social media accounts as you’ve gone along now mean that one account has a completely different vibe from the rest! You can successfully strengthen your corporate identity by updating your social media presence across the board with matching colors, fonts, and logos.
- Managing social media accounts can be a daunting task. Let us take the hassle out of developing and implementing a social media strategy. As part of our social media management package, Curio Creative agency can help create a social media strategy, schedule posts, build up a contact list from ads, write a blog or story posts for sharing, and even keep track of all those pesky usernames and passwords for you!
- Review existing marketing materials: Don’t be tempted to use left-over, outdated print or merchandise. Materials that aren’t consistent with your current corporate identity could confuse customers and hurt your sales.
- Immediately correct mishaps in flyers, brochures, magazines, business cards, billboards, and anything else that someone can hold in their hand like a mug or a t-shirt. No-one likes to spend time and money rectifying a mistake, but this is a worthwhile investment in the long-run.
- Hiring a competent designer can make the re-design process smoother. Look for a designer who has a strong sense of design and who communicates well. Good designers will typically ask a series of well-crafted questions to familiarize themselves with your company and what you’re looking for.
There’s a lot more you can do to strengthen your corporate identity, but these seven tips are a great starting place. Construct a strong corporate identity by making consistent visual statements that help current and potential customers recognize and remember you. We can help. Please don’t hesitate to call us at 304-638-8878 or send us an email at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you and making some new friends. God bless!